Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Page from an Altered Planner (Mixed Media Project)

Hey there!




I found this small Orange Circle Studio daily planner in the clearance aisle at Hobby Lobby several months ago and I can honestly say I purchased it because I thought it was cute. That's all. Such is my compulsion.

The thing is that I hardly use planners. I actually alter one plain ruled notebook to be a planner of sorts - writing out my schedule and to-do lists. I just always hated the limited spaces designated for each day in planners.

So, how was I going to use this, I wondered. I realized that I could alter it using mixed media (I've been on an art journaling kick for a while now).






This is what the pages looked like before

To transform each page, I would glue four to five sheets together (hence the paperclips in the previous picture), so that the pages would be thicker to withstand the heavy body acrylic paint and other media such as scraps of paper, Gesso and gel medium.

Then, I would either add printed scrapbook paper or old pictures I saved for my mixed media project or I would simply paint the Gesso as a base for future work. I decided to transform all the pages, by creating at least a base to begin with for later creations.


On this page, I have added a picture of jewels I saved from an old calendar, then, painted it lightly with Titanium White mixed with Magenta, then before it was fully dry, scraped away some of the paint to give it a distressed look.

I did the same technique as the picture above, using Cerulean Blue acrylic paint instead.


Favorite Things



I love that it has an elastic band and since altering pages tends to bulk up the book, this would work to keep the pages from popping up. So far, the pages are somewhat flat when open. but since I am not done with many of pages, it will definitely secure my future additions.

I love the cover the most and that the pages are sewn together in signatures, which makes it that much studier. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment